40 minutes from Hotel Raffaello is the International Mugello Circuit, a must for speed and racing lovers.
An authentic theater of challenges and overtakes, Mugello Circuit is the official location of the Italian Grand Prix of Moto Gp.
Originally the Mugello racetrack was of a different style: it was a road circuit.
In 1914, the first motor race was held on this famous road circuit. Conceived at the beginning as a regularity race, the Mugello road race was interrupted at the outbreak of the World War I. The challenging and selective competition knew its golden years in the postwar period, when best drivers challenged one another on the 66 km. Dusty track, which went from Scarperia uphill to Firenzuola, and then through the Futa Pass downhill San Piero and Scarperia. The legendary names linked to this historical race still echo today: Campari, Brilli Peri, Enzo Ferrari (who won in 1921 on an Alfa Romeo class 4.500), Ascari, Borzacchini and perhaps, most importantly, Emilio Materassi, the local idol.
The prestige of the "Mille Miglia" dimmed the Mugello road race after its 1929 event and even the competitions held after 1955 on the reduced 19 km. Track were not favorable. In 1960' s due to the disappearance of the "Mille Miglia" and the increasing popularity of road races, sportfriendly managers, such as Pasquale Borracci and Amos Pampaloni, were convinced to repropose the Mugello competition on the classical track of 66 km. The new events were quite successful even though they suffer from the absence of the most prestigious Italian mark, the Cavallino, which officially took part only in the competion of 1967.
It was destiny that the histories of the Mugello racetrack and Ferrari would meet again, but it was necessary to wait over twenty years.
The seven events held in the '60 drew hundreds of thousands of spectators in the green valley of Mugello. They were attracted by the performance of the sport and touring cars in battle for the supremacy and their hearts beat for the drivers of these cars so near to the production model, like the little modified Abarth. The track allowed spectacular driving performances, which drivers such as Enrico Pinto, Nanni Galli, Ignazio Giunti, Mauro Nesti and Arturo Merzario exploited to create their lasting and well deserved reputation.
The enthusiasm of the Tuscan spectators was devoted to the most spectacular drivers. The 'dragon' Sandro Munari, was particularly favored in his exhibitions on the difficult and challenging rounds of the Apennines with the Fulvia Barchetta, designed by Fiorio and Maglioli.
On the last events, the most exiting was in 1968, when the Alfa Romeo car, driven by Luciano Bianchi, Galli and Nino Vaccarella, won after an incredible recovery over the Porsche, driven by Rico Steinemann and the Swiss Jo Siffert.
As in the story of the ugly duckling, where the protagonist becomes a beautiful swan, the Mugello road circuit of 1920's becomes a modern racetrack. Nowadays "the Mugello" represents a step forward in the conception of circuits where safety, technology and facilities combine to satisfy the requirements of car and motorbikes races.
Designed and realized according to the devices developed by the sciences of road racing, the International Mugello Circuit guarantees the maximum safety for drivers and spectators alike, thanks to its wide run-off areas in the most demanding corners of the track ant its service road for the rescue all along the 5.245 m. Track. Thanks to its positioning characterized by a total variance in altitude of 41,19 m., the Mugello circuit is an ideal place for the most rigorous test.
Designed in 70's and later greatly remodeled by Ferrari, "the Mugello" is one of the most scenic, modern and safe racing facilities in the world. Fully operational year round, the Mugello circuit is the regular test centre of Ferrari F1, the most important manufacturer of MotoGP and World Superbike, other prestigious manufacturer cars italian and international.
To date the Mugello racetrack has hosted the Formula 5.000 Championship (which baptized the renovated circuit on June 23rd, 1974), the Formula 3.000, the Formula 2, the Fia-Gt and has been the only circuit in Italy to host the ITC.
The track runs over 5.000 m through the forests and green areas. The elevated areas along the track permit the spectators to take part fully in the race: to experience strong emotions ad protagonists.
The facilities have been built with leading technology and the office building is fully equipped with multifunctional facilities.